Tuesday, November 11, 2008

11. I Can Take a Hint

The street kids are not always known for having the newest nicest shoes but they often take pride in the ones that they do have. Their feet also usually tend to not smell so nice, especially since they don’t wear socks the majority of the time. They sometimes give their shoes the smell test and when they get so unbearably smelly they will search for a new pair.
I have actually gagged at the smell of a couple of the boys’ feet. There have even been times when a kid is over at my house and will take off his shoes and the entire house will fill up with the aroma of his feet.
Anyway, one night I was standing talking to a boy named Elroy and we got on the topic of my shoes. He was just asking how long I had had them, and then asked me for the infamous smell test.
Now let me explain how I wear shoes. I buy a pair of shoes and then use them for everything: every day life, running, walking, I wear them to church, I wear them to boxing, I wear them everywhere, up to the point that they fall apart or smell too bad to wear anymore.
The shoes I wore at the time, were pretty much at that point! I thought Elroy was joking but when I saw that he genuinely wanted to smell my shoe, I willingly took it off and held it up for him to smell, telling him to “watch out” at the same time.
For some reason he didn’t possibly think that my shoes could smell and didn’t believe me. He took one huge whiff and changed his mind fast! I have never seen a kid make such a face!
He even gagged and started making a noise as if he was throwing up to show that he was totally disgusted. He dramatically went on for several minutes and when he finally gained his composure, he politely told me that it was time for me to get a new pair of shoes.
I found it quite humorous that a street kid was telling me that my shoes stunk and that it was time for me to get some new shoes.
I can take a hint! And I did. Not long after that I got a new pair of shoes.

No comments: