Tuesday, November 11, 2008

35. Hope

I don’t know how much longer I will be in Cape Town. I am sure only time will tell.
One thing I know for sure is that I absolutely cherish the time that I have spent here up to this point in time. It has not always been easy but I have learned a lot and the grace was always sufficient for me to continue on to the next day.
I will never forget these kids, the other wonderful people I have met along the way, or the times that I have shared with them. In all of my experiences, both good and bad, dramatic and humorous, the word that has stuck with me through them all is HOPE.
The difference between a “wish” and “hope” is, to wish for something is merely desiring for that thing, or wanting it to happen. To hope is to desire for that thing, want it to happen and at the same time, know that it can happen.
I have learned so much in these years I have spent with the kids.
I have taken the people on the streets of Cape Town as my brothers, sisters, fathers and mothers – as my family. I have walked with them through good times and hard times, and I truly cherish each and every experience that I was privileged enough to have with them.
I have learned that there are no simple answers, that it is not as easy as expecting them to just “get off the streets”. The issues go much deeper than that.
I have learned to look into the most desperate situation and see that there is a way out, even when it appears to be the exact opposite. I have learned to walk through the most hopeless of situations, not giving up but continuing to speak words of life into it.
I have learned to hope.
And even when I get overwhelmed by the “problem” of the “street kids” or the system or the devastation that the communities are in, I remember the words that the Lord used to call me to work with the kids in the first place and I know that all they need is someone to believe in them, someone to walk with them, someone to listen to them, someone to fight with them, and someone to teach them how to hope, and THEY will rebuild the destruction and devastation of the previous generations.

No comments: